Advanced Test Prep Skills
In this class, students learn test-taking strategies and engage in skill-building exercises to perform successfully on a variety of standardized English tests, such as TOEFL iBT, TOEFL Essentials, Duolingo English Test, and IELTS. Students sharpen their listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills in order to perform well on a variety of English test tasks. Online materials include up-to-date information on recent test changes and new practice tests. Laptop or tablet required.
- Use effective note-taking strategies for conversations and lectures.
- Scan for details in order to answer factual and negative factual questions.
- Identify coherence devices in a paragraph and insert new sentences appropriately.
- Identify sentences that summarize the key points of a passage.
- Write a clear, detailed description of a photo.
- Write a well-organized email with a clear purpose and appropriate formality.
- Synthesize information from multiple sources effectively in writing.
- Apply editing skills quickly in order to improve an essay under time constraints.
- Speak clearly and at an appropriate pace to answer read-aloud and listen-and-repeat questions on the Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials tests.
- Summarize information from another source, such as a short reading, conversation, or lecture.