Advanced Writing: Academic Writing
Whether a student’s goals are to improve English for professional, academic, or real-world purposes, the Advanced Level classes help them to achieve these goals.
This “Writing Based on Research” English class, students will discuss and brainstorm topics of interest, then conduct guided research to write an informed and well- cited essay following standard essay format and citation rules. The class uses materials available online and student-generated writing examples for reference and practice. By taking this course, the student is preparing for university-level writing and research, which is the basis of university studies in the USA.
- Write a complete, well-organized essay with a clear thesis statement and effective support
- Paraphrase sentences from a text using synonyms, grammatical changes, etc.
- Read, take notes, and summarize main ideas from a text
- Introduce and cite sources properly for paraphrases and summaries
- Incorporate a variety of sentence types in writing (simple, compound, complex)
- Write a well-organized and purposeful essay based on research
- Use correct punctuation and verb tense for direct and/or indirect quotations
This class is also available in the following formats:
For Private or Small Group Lessons, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss scheduling options.