Advanced Writing: Essay Writing
Whether a student’s goals are to improve English for professional, academic, or real-world purposes, the Advanced Level classes help them to achieve these goals.
Special course focusing on summary-response writing, giving students the opportunity to decide on a reading topic, learn and practice summarizing techniques, and then write an opinion essay based on the reading. Students learn to write an informed and well- cited essay following standard essay format and citation rules. The class uses materials available online and student-generated writing examples for reference and practice. By taking this course, the student is preparing for university-level writing and reading, which is the basis of university studies in the USA.
- Write a complete, well-organized essay with a clear thesis statement and effective support.
- Paraphrase sentences from a text using synonyms, grammatical changes, etc.
- Read, take notes, and summarize main ideas from a text.
- Introduce and cite sources properly for paraphrases and summaries.
- Incorporate a variety of sentence types in writing (simple, compound, complex).
- Write a well-organized and purposeful essay based on research.
- Use correct punctuation and verb tense for direct and/or indirect quotations.
This class is also available in the following formats:
For Private or Small Group Lessons, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss scheduling options.