Intermediate Reading & Discussion: Reading a Short Story
In Intermediate classes, we will go beyond the basics of the English language.
In this class, using a leveled book, students read a collection of short international folk tales together, practicing reading strategies, vocabulary and discussion. Students will have the opportunity to read authentic materials, discuss the stories with their classmates, and increase their vocabulary by understanding and using words from the text. This is an engaging way to practice the important skill of reading, which is necessary for overall improvement of a student’s English.
- Read and comprehend short folk tales that have been adapted for A2- level learners
- Read silently and out loud and talk about the ideas in the reading.
- Answer questions about the main idea, details and examples.
- Develop pre-reading skills (i.e., making predictions, setting a purpose for reading)
- Skim a passage to identify the main idea and organization.
- Build confidence in accessing and engaging with an extensive text.
- Develop vocabulary and identify synonyms for new words.
- Engage in small group and whole-class discussions around the reading.
- Infer meaning based on context clues.
This class is also available in the following formats:
For Private or Small Group Lessons, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss scheduling options.