Professional English: Speaking Up with Confidence in the Workplace
Whether a student’s goals are to improve English for professional, academic, or real-world purposes, the Advanced Level classes help them to achieve these goals.
Students will study what makes for effective professional communication in the U.S. context, and by identifying their own strengths as leaders and collaborators, they will develop the confidence to actively participate in the American workplace. As in previous Speak Business English courses, students will analyze professional English by observing and discussing authentic models, such as TED Talks and other videos intended for native speakers, and they will work to strengthen their control of pronunciation, with particular focus on employing intonation and emphatic stress to sound confident and persuade others. Unlike the previous course, however, students will not prepare formal presentations. Instead, they will practice participating in less structured types of professional communication, such as team meetings, lunches, and networking events, where improvisational skill is needed to “speak on your feet.”
- Identify and leverage their own leadership style using the DISC model, a popular and standardized way to assess behavioral styles.
- Share ideas with confidence in unstructured workplace scenarios.
- Pitch ideas persuasively with storytelling strategies and humor.
- Sound confident in their ideas through the use of effective pronunciation.
- Incorporate professional idioms into improvised conversation.
This class is also available in the following formats:
For Private or Small Group Lessons, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss scheduling options.